There are many details that cross your mind when you think about a tropical cake. Of course, when you plan to hold a destination wedding that immediately gives you a wedding cake theme. The best part is that most of the décor is the destination. Imagine, not having to worry about having a wedding décor checklist because the décor is there. But there is one thing that you need to consider and that is your wedding cake.
What do you do to get a tropical themed wedding cake without covering the cake in shells or adding pineapples and coconut? We’ve got the tips that’ll help you pick the best tropical wedding cake for your special day.
Consider Your Wedding Cake Flavor Options
Do you think pina colada when you think of tropical flavors? We do, too. The problem is there are a lot of people who don’t like pineapple and/or coconut. So, while those flavor are delicious, and they might be your favorite, there are some other flavors to consider that can be a little more palate pleasing to your guests.
- Vanilla – there’s nothing wrong with plain vanilla, especially if you’re going to focus on the cake’s appearance.
- Berries and fruits – tropical fruit and berries in the cake layers or the frosting layers have dynamic flavor that’s fresh and fruity.
- Lemon – this tart citrus creates a fresh, delightful wedding cake flavor that’s all about the tropics
- Banana – typically not the first fruit you think of when you think tropical because they’re so common, but they’re serious tropical contenders. Think about it, who doesn’t love banana bread.
Best Tropical Cake Decor Ideas for Your Wedding
Once you’ve picked a flavor, you can start planning how you want your cake to look.
- Shells – you don’t want to go overboard or have the shells be too heavy on the cake, but a light hand with some frosting shells in muted, pastel hues is a softly beachy touch.
- Flora – look to lush tropical flowers and leaves for inspiration. You can include edible flowers that actually have some health benefits, or you can have creations made of sugar, or real flowers for decoration only. No matter which way you go, relying on Mother Nature always brings a layer of elegance to your cake.
- Waves – ocean waves are actually a huge trend in tropical wedding cakes, but you don’t have to be literal. Try using wave-inspired colors to create a subtle effect.
- Cake topper fun – If your wedding is all about fun then you’re probably already thinking about playful and whimsical cake toppers that have a beachy vibe.
- Sandcastle – we’ve seen some super-cute sandcastle wedding cakes that capture the elegance of a multi-tiered cake with both elegance and whimsy.
- Table cakes – since your beach wedding will probably be fairly small, we love the idea of having a different cake at each table. This way your guests can swap pieces or have a small bite of each one. And the best part is you don’t have to decide on just one cake.
Enjoy a Perfect Tropical Cake in Paradise
One thing that needs to be mentioned when you’re planning a destination wedding and thinking about your wedding cake – you’re going to need to find a local cake maker. When you book your destination wedding through Bella Honeymoons, we take care of that for you.
You don’t have to worry about finding a quality baker or checking reviews, we already have contacts with the best in the business. We’ll help you every step of the way, so your destination wedding is exactly what you’ve always dreamed of.