The thrill of flying off to a faraway location for your wedding comes with several challenges. When deciding to get hitched away from home, you need a destination wedding timeline and checklist to stay organized and sane.
Here is a timeline you can follow to take the stress out of your wedding planning.
12 to 16 Months Before the Wedding
- Set up an overall budget that includes travel expenses and accommodations.
- Prepare a guest list.
- Start a wedding binder to keep the paperwork, photos, fabric swatches, and ideas in one place.
- Buy wedding insurance.
- Hire a seasoned wedding planner to manage everything.
11 Months Before the Wedding
- Research potential locations and venues.
- Set a wedding date, depending on the weather of your chosen location.
- Finalize your bridal party and make sure they have travel documents ready.
- Send save-the-dates a little early to give time to your guests for preparations.
- Make a wedding website with local maps, registry details, airport information, and other details.
- Buy your airline tickets to get better deals.
9 to 10 Months Before the Wedding
- Initiate legal procedures, if any, required at the wedding destination.
- Book the accommodations.
- Prepare an itinerary, including excursions for post- or pre-wedding activities.
- Start planning for your wedding attire.
8 Months Before the Wedding
- Select your wedding officiant.
- Create a gift registry at this time in your destination wedding timeline.
- Choose a wedding theme.
- Plan the ceremony details and customs you want to follow.
7 Months Before the Wedding
- Finalize your wedding dress and bridal party attire.
- Buy the wedding rings and other accessories.
- Order and RSVP the wedding invitations.
6 Months Before the Wedding
Finalize decorations, flowers, cake, menu, and other details with your wedding planner.
- Renew the passports and apply for visas.
- Plan pre-wedding counseling if you’re having jitters.
4 to 5 Months Before the Wedding
- Buy the wedding favors.
- Make honeymoon plans.
- Mail out the wedding invitations.
- Plan the rehearsal dinner and party.
- Arrange for wedding-day transportation.
2 to 3 Months Before the Wedding
- Ask your wedding planner to review vendor contracts.
- Prepare seating arrangements for the wedding party.
- Take confirmation from all the guests.
- Get the necessary vaccines.
One Month Before the Wedding
- Prepare the final itineraries.
- Take confirmations for travel and lodging arrangements.
- Get the final dress fitting and make a definitive packing list.
3 to 5 Days Before the Wedding
- Jet set to the wedding destination.
- Check the final details.
- Book your bridal makeup, pedicure, manicure, and hair trial.
- Get the beauty sleep.
The Big Day
Take a deep breath and exchange your vows in a pleasant environment.
For a stress-free ceremony, take help from your wedding planner and follow this destination wedding timeline.